Hurricane season is almost here, and for homeowners in the Gulf South, it means taking important steps to ensure your home is prepared. With winds that can reach over a hundred miles an hour, severe storms can easily cause heavy damage and destruction in minutes. To ensure your family’s safety and protect your property from major damage, it’s essential to take action before a storm hits. Learn about some of the important steps you can take to prepare for hurricane season with Relief Windows, a trusted local windows company proudly serving the Gulf South.
Preparing Your Property Before a Hurricane
When it comes to minimizing potential hurricane damage, proper preparation is key. Here are five steps you can take to improve the safety and security of your home.
- Trim Trees and Bushes: Overgrown trees and bushes can cause significant damage if they fall or break during a hurricane. Regularly trim them to reduce this risk.
- Secure or Remove Outdoor Furniture: Loose outdoor items can become dangerous projectiles in high winds. Secure them or bring them indoors.
- Have a Plan for Backup Power and Water Sources: Power and water outages are common during hurricanes. Consider investing in a generator and storing enough water and non-perishables for all household members.
- Consider Setting Up Sandbags: Setting up multiple walls of sandbags can help to divert water and debris away from property you want to safeguard. If you live in an area prone to flooding, this may help to keep water off your doorstep. Additionally, an external door installed with a weathertight seal can further enhance your home’s protection.
- Review Your Insurance Policy: Before a storm develops, it can be wise to review your property insurance plan. This allows you to determine whether certain types of hurricane damage are covered. Depending on what you find, it may be best to seek a new plan or supplemental coverage for your current plan.
The Importance of Storm Impact Windows
In addition to the steps above, there’s one hurricane preparedness step that can make all the difference when it counts the most. Once severe weather sets in, the strength and security of your windows can play a crucial role in protecting your home and your family.
Most windows will be especially vulnerable to the debris thrown around by storm-force winds. In addition to creating a hazard inside of the home with broken glass and rain, a cracked window can also increase the air pressure inside of the home. This can cause the roof to detach and the walls to collapse.
However, Storm Impact Windows are built to withstand hurricane-force winds and protect against flying debris. They are specifically designed for the volatile weather of coastal areas, utilizing the same protective technology used in aircraft windshields. Watch 6’2” former football player and Relief Windows founder Brandon Hollie take a crowbar to these windows to see how well they stand up to the test.
With professional installation from an experienced local windows company, you can safeguard your home from threats of extreme weather and break-in attempts. Additionally, our service and craftsmanship come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can trust the quality of our work. Speak with a knowledgeable Relief Windows representative to explore a vast variety of options and get the exact look and shape to complement the look of your home.
Take Immediate Action After a Hurricane
Once the hurricane has passed, it’s essential to assess the damage and take immediate action. Important steps include:
- Carefully inspecting your property for damage.
- Documenting any damage for insurance purposes.
- Contacting your insurance company to start the claims process, if necessary.
- Being cautious of potential hazards like downed power lines or contaminated water.
Prepare Your Home for Hurricane Season by Taking Action and Contacting Your Local Windows Company
Getting ready for hurricane season can feel overwhelming, but by being proactive before a storm hits, you can maximize your home’s protection. With professional installation services from a trusted local windows company, you can breathe easier with windows designed to stand up to some of the worst Mother Nature has to offer.
To explore Storm Impact Windows options for your home, call 225-288-8138 or contact us online to get started. Take action today to experience greater peace of mind knowing that your home is well prepared for the hurricane season.